A Red Tam!
It was a quick project. I cut the segments on the bias and the band on the straight, mainly so I could see the contrast. I used the sewing machine for most of it, all of an evening, and hand-finished the band the next morning.
The most fun came when I had my sister try on the hat during its construction. At first, the curves of the Taj Mahal shape were too sharp, and she dubbed it the hat a "starfish" and said she'd never wear it! So I shaved off the edges--twice--until she liked the curves. But then she thought it was still too floppy and required too much adjusting, so I bisected some of the segments with faux seams, and this met with her approval. (By "faux seams" I mean that I simply folded the segment down and sewed a teeny pin tuck on the inside: barely any width is lost, but from the outside it looks like two skinny segments instead of one big one.) But then she decided she like it only half halved... if that makes sense. She likes the bisected panels on the front of the hat, for shape and detail, and not on the back of the hat. The pic at the top of this post shows the difference between front and back with a top view.
To protect seam allowances from fraying with wear, I lined the hat with a bit of green cotton broadcloth from an old nightgown of mine. Here are some completed hat pictures, with comments.
FINISHED HAT A HIT!
2/20/2017 02:50:27 pm
The Starfish Hat is a very cheery addition to my collection and enablement of one of my 2017 goals to "wear more hats". Thanks, Karen!
3/3/2017 09:38:18 am
I'll do myself the favor of not looking up "envelope hat" or "Glengarry cap", so as to save myself from undue fretting. I'm sure it'll be lovely!
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Quilting, dressmaking, and history plied with the needle...
Blogs I Read