The whole thing started in a vintage shop dressing room, with an interesting wrap dress that closed with an overlap in the back, not the front. The back, consequently, had a v-neck. Alas, it was a dreadful khaki color and too small for me, so I didn't like it; but I liked the idea of it, and came home to try my own version, using (yet again) Simplicity 3631's bodice.
Time to get the first thing off my UFO pile! I started these quilted jumps, a kind of casual 18th Century substitute for stays, back in 2015, using an older sewing machine. I re-found them in 2017, and put them in my working pile again, and now I am finally done! (Just as Spring arrives and I have no reason to wear them for months!)
It seems I am not the only one who likes nightcaps! While visiting my family recently, I was wakened by my five-year-old niece. She asked me what was on my head, and I groggily explained that my nightcap kept my head warm, my hair neat, and spiders out of my ears. So she decided she wanted one! Knowing the transience of a child's desires, I didn't jump to make her one... until she'd asked over and over for a week and a half.
All right, then! Into her mom's stash we went, and she selected raspberry-colored satin and blue-green sari fabric. Knowing the cap would need more body than those flimsy fabrics provided, I fetched out the same white fabric I'd used last year for my cap, and decided to use it for the interior.
My first essay into my Elizabethan-inspired ensemble is a blackwork ruffle, mainly because a ruffle can be used anywhere, so I could make it even when I didn't have any clothing patterns. It seemed a good way to get started on the project and see how I liked blackwork.
And, as luck would have it, I found just such a fabric at Goodwill one day! Actually, they had a ton of it, so I bought it all! The fabric is a woven (not printed) check in dark green. Very nice drape to it, and nice hand. I want to make the long-sleeved version of the dress for winter.
Blogs I Read