HOW I MADE IT
My construction method was simple, but time-consuming. I started with a cotton skirt lining salvaged from an old dress. I opened it up at the side seam to make a large flat piece, then started layering my scraps on top, aiming for a dynamic, haphazard look that was nevertheless balanced. If there was a big piece in one corner, there couldn't just be tiny slivers everywhere else! So I started with the largest pieces and positioned them, then filled the other spaces with smaller pieces, lapping them over and under until my eye liked the effect. I pinned, stood back and looked, pinned again, sewed a few seams and re-considered, et cetera.
Every time a piece overlapped another, I turned the top edge under to hide the ravelly edges, and top-stitched on top of the fold. I appliqued lace motifs on the larger pieces. I folded pleats into one of the more boring (but very press-able) fabrics. I tried to contrast textures as well as colors. There were a few red poppies in one of the prints, which I tried to position in un-awkward places, though later changes in fit moved them into awkward areas. *eye-roll*
Because of all the different fibers in one skirt, I haven't washed the skirt yet. If I have to (but really, it doesn't get dirty in normal wear), I'll hand-wash and iron dry.
Quilting, dressmaking, and history plied with the needle...
Sites I Enjoy