Glamor shots of a costume...
For the costume, my client gave me this description: "the nineteen-eighties, super-artificial, and kind of Japanese". I combined this with "Neelix from Star Trek Voyager" ('cause I was watching Voyager at the time) and came up with a red vinyl jacket that closed diagonally across the chest with red pleather details reminiscent of a Japanese fan. I used Simplicity 8235 (a cosplay pattern) for the base pattern, but altered it to close with a diagonal overlap.
He also wanted high-waisted white trousers with pleats. I used a pair of his existing pants to get the basic pattern, slashed and spread to get deep pleats.
For the materials, we went to several fabric stores. First to the Mill End Store in Milwaukie, where we picked up some textured vinyl that looked like a red reptile. It was in the Home Decor section, so you can imagine how stiff it was!
Then to JoAnn Fabric and Craft to get some red pleather, to use for details. I ended up cutting it into strips and appliqueing it on the jacket, starting on the front right hip, going around the left hip to the back, then up over the right shoulder and spreading out like fingers or a fin on the front over-flap.
Finally to Fabric Depot for the white "handbag vinyl" that the pants got made of. Handbag vinyl was a lot softer and easier to sew than the other vinyl.
6/21/2018 09:41:54 am
Your client looks quite satisfied! I think the jacket is a nice fit, with big, bold design elements!
Leave a Reply.
Quilting, dressmaking, and history plied with the needle...
Blogs I Read