Several months ago, I had in my stash two slivers of cream-colored poly-satin. If I had to guess, someone made a wedding dress with a gored skirt, and these skinny triangles were the leftovers. I also had a few scraps of another satin, but this one less shiny, in the same color. From these, I intended to create a shirt that would match my tulip skirt, and thus be a valuable addition to my wardrobe. As to the actual result, well... it was educational!
To start with, I took the old familiar bodice pieces from Simplicity 3631 and eked out just enough of the shiny satin for a shirt. The center back got a seam, and the center front became the opening. Here's the pattern layout:
Now, if the front pattern was meant to be cut on the fold, and I cut on the edge, obviously there now wasn't enough to close in the front. Once I finished the CF edges, the shirt would be too small. My solution was to add extensions to both edges, to get enough of an overlap for buttons and buttonholes. I decided to use the corresponding matte fabric and have it show as a vertical strip in the front. This I did by hand, because I was visiting with a friend at the time:
Then, from the shreds and remnants, I found enough for some facings for the neck.
In my button stash, I found ten buttons that almost matched: the Lansing buttons on the right side of the picture match each other, and the others are close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.
My next thought was to make a collar that notches in CF and CB, which I did by cutting two sickle -shaped pieces of the matte fabric. In the picture below, you can see the collar pieces pinned in place, more like mini shoulder capes than a collar. The picture also shows the contrast CF extensions and the different textures of the two fabrics.
I pinned the facing onto the collar, right sides together, and sewed them all together in one go. Then I flipped the facing to the inside, ironed everything, under-stitched the facing to crisp up the edge, and tacked it to the shoulder seams so it wouldn't roll out.
Finally, I finished the bottom of the shirt with two more matte fabric extensions, echoing the collar in design. I finished the shirt just in time for Easter and wore it to church with my tulip skirt and a fun vintage hat.
While I did finish it and it did match my skirt, I don't think this project is a success. There were several pretty big problems:
Quilting, dressmaking, and history plied with the needle...
Blogs I Read