A Utility Quilt (unfinished)
Way back in early 2017, about the time I started this blog, I decided to start a simple quilt made of 3" squares, each representing a completed sewing project. I started by collecting the squares as I sewed other things. Some of the squares were a single fabric, but others were themselves pieced from the several fabrics used in a single project. I collected for a while, but never made the quilt because I didn't know how to bring the pieces together attractively.
A few months back, as I became motivated to quilt, I pulled those squares out and re-evaluated them. I discarded all the synthetic fabrics, keeping the cotton, silk, rayon, and linen. I also discarded too-heavy or too-sheer squares, paring my selection down to only things that would work well for piecing. Then I threw them together in a few days, into a very strange quilt-top. It was more an exercise in piecing and setting blocks on point than a real design. I'm fond of it, but not excited enough to finish it, so it sits now in the WIP pile.
SOME QUILT SQUARES AND DETAILS
In addition to my old squares, I also have new cotton strips leftover from my "Organized Chaos" quilt, which I piece together on the fly. I make several squares and trim them to the same size, then sew them into larger squares and strips.
Then I play around with different corner options before settling on molten yellows.
The batting is a mill end strip of Pendleton greige wool. It'll make the quilt quite heavy, but I will be happy to have it as a car quilt, a blanket in case of emergency or breakdown, which can be used to smother a fire if needed, but is still pretty until then. Now it just needs to be quilted.
Leave a Reply.
Quilting, dressmaking, and history plied with the needle...
Blogs I Read